Brisbane, QLD


Wednesday, July 9, 2014

DON'T GO SOUTH IN WINTER

Recently we found ourselves in the southern city of Adelaide in winter. We were there for a birthday celebration which was sadly cancelled due to ill health. So we contemplated how to spend a few days in a freezing cold city. 
Adelaide is a pretty city and neatly laid out with the River Torrens flowing through the town.

statue of lady reading outside the library




We decided visiting the Art gallery and a museum was the way to be out without being cold. We rugged up in jumpers, scarves and coats and walked a few blocks down North Tce past the Library to the Art gallery. I was taken in by the deciduous trees which we don't see in Brisbane. The leafless trees making patterns in the sky caught my attention and so too the stacks of coloured leaves being tossed around on the ground by the freezing wind.


Art gallery of Adelaide

There was a special exhibition of Dorrit Black's work. There were almost 200 pieces of her work to see. She was born in South Australia and she was one of Australia's leading artists who brought modern art to Australia. At first I didn't think much of her work but as I saw more and more it grew on me and I rather liked it at the end.

Later we went to the Migration Museum, which we found extremely interesting as we are both migrants ourselves.
This was one of the posters that influenced my parents to migrate. However, many migrants didn't find it as wonderful as the posters portrayed. It was a hard battle to make a life in Australia in the first half of the 20th century. You can read about my parents struggles here.

It was time to return to our warm hotel for a snack. We tried to order the smallest item but look what turned up. It was delicious.

Carol and I left TOH in the warm hotel playing on his computer while we went shopping. We braved the cold wind and the rain and walked to the shopping mall where Carol bought me a beautiful jumper (sweater)  for my birthday which was a few days ago then.

Left, the view TOH had from the window of our hotel.

25 comments:

  1. Sorry your friends' celebrations were cancelled due to ill health. However, happy birthday to YOU if I missed it (I did!) You and "Gattina" are in the same month? It's brrr to read about cold weather such as you had in Adelaide. We keep hearing about bitter cold where we have our home in SA. I sit here in Tanzania in shorts and tee-shirt and overhead fans on - this is winter in EA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOH had the right idea to stay in. Winter is a great time to do Art Galleries and the such Diane. I just loved the pigs from your previous post, it has been awhile since I have visited the city centre of Adelaide. Enjoy your Brisbane warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burger looks nice. It can be annoying at times when you can't get some small to eat, like a simple sandwich that doesn't weigh a ton. Nice views from your hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like Belgium in autumn ! even the tree leaves ! A pity that the weather was not so good, just as we had on our Devon/Cornwall trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title of your post (on my Feedly index) made me say "huh" for a minute, until I realized who the author was (and where she is from). Things sure are different on the other side of the equator ;>)! Except for when it comes to wanting to be on the warmer side of the country in the winter. In that, you and I are just alike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The museum of imigrants is very interesting. Your winter looks as our autumn. The view from the hotel is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That imigration museum looks very interesting. I even had read about it a while ago in a paper here. So many Dutch went to Australia as well in the fifties. Europe was a mess in those years after WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the cold weather and the illness. I am glad you and your daughter were able to get out and see the sights.. The museum looks like a nice place to visit. Great shots, I hope you are enjoying some warmer weather now.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep it is definitely go north or find a warm fire weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that poster does make it look inviting I can only imagine the hardships by your parents and the others. I am glad they stayed and raised you there though look at your wonderful life. HUG B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane your photos are lovely.
    Not much fun in the wind with rain plus cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy belated to you. :)

    glad you found some things to do while there. liked the fallen leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. with that view from my computer i would get nothing done, so much pretty art and it looks like you found a lot to enjoy out of the cold. i like that leaf shot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you were able to make the most of the change to your plans. I always find it strange reading about the winter chill when we are enjoying the warmth of Summer. You need a big mouth to get your teeth into that burger!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you found some fun things to do even with the cold. Splendid photos! Also I do hope your relative/friend is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just hate the cold and summer has not really arrived here yet. I do not ever remember wearing jerseys in June in France but I have been doing so ever since we came back from holiday. Portugal also had a chilly wind blowing though it was warm in the sun if protected. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know Tim has decided the best time to travel is during winter and said he would like to plan our next holiday next May and future holidays all through winter I don't know how I feel about that idea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry to hear that your trip south was marred by illness and cold weather. Adelaide does look like a pretty city.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ..belated birthday wishes to you Diane. Nice to catch up with your daughter and then relaxing in fine style in the comfort of your hotel room. Put your jumper to good use now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too late for a happy birth DAY, so I will wish you a wonderful year.
    It's fun that you found the poster that influenced your parents to come to Australia. It was true I those who immigrated to the US, too. The promised Promised Land was far from what they expected.
    I love the sculpture of the travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's still very cold and wet here Diane. it's lovely to see pics of my city taken from a different perspective. it is a lovely city really. our weather is either stinky hot or freezing, or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very happy belated birthday Diane, shame it didn't work out how you planned and I hope your friend is on the mend soon. Wonder if Adelaide gets colder than Perth?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Belated Birthday, Diane... Somehow I missed it.. Didn't read it on your blog or on FB...

    How cold was it while you were there? Sounds extremely cold --or was it because you all never get weather that cold --which made it feel much colder??? This past winter our temperature went down to a negative 10 degrees ---and I'm here to say that THAT is COLD... ha

    Didn't realize that you all don't have deciduous trees in Brisbane... SO--you and TOH can come up here in October and help us rake up all of our leaves!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  24. when did yr parents migrate? I just finished reading the Secret River.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It does look chilly in your photos! I'm sorry your friend's BD celebration was cancelled due to ill health.

    ReplyDelete