Brisbane, QLD


Monday, November 3, 2014

A LOVE STORY

Continuing the story from last post where my boyfriend of three years dumped me and a new friend smashed up my car:

My girlfriend, Kerrie, who I had been friends with since we were seven, had come to PNG to work. She was still trying to find me a new boyfriend. She didn't like to see me staying home on the weekends just reading or playing sport. She was more outgoing than I was and met boys at the local RSL Club (Returned Servicemen's Club).

One day she said, "I have met three nice boys at the club, you must come and meet them, I'm sure you would like one of them. They are from Switzerland and they are gentlemen. Now she had me interested even though I wasn't that keen on going to the club as I didn't drink. So the next Saturday night I went to the club with Kerrie and was to meet the three boys, Willy, Werner and Willy (called Bill to distinguish between the two boys with the same name). However, Bill didn't turn up because his company had sent him to the other side of New Guinea to do a job for a few weeks. Kerry fancied Willy, so I was left with Werner. He was a good looking young man and enjoyed dancing which I liked too. But there was something about him I wasn't sure about. He was a bit over confident and self assured. After my recent hurtful experiences with men, I was very unsure of this guy. However, in a group he was okay. 

We got talking and one thing led to another and I found myself telling them the story of my car being smashed up by a (married) soldier I had trusted. He promised to have the car fixed by the army mechanics but it had been in their workshop for months and nothing done. The two Swiss boys were shocked to hear the story and said they would sort it out. The next day they went to the barracks, found the guy and I don't know how they did it, but there may have been some threatening going on, and the next thing I know they had my car towed out of the barracks and given to a local car repair garage to be fixed. I started to like these guys very much.
I went to a few parties and beach picnics with them but I still couldn't relax with Werner so I stopped going out with them and back to my books and sport. 

Willy, Werner and Bill were all electricians from Switzerland working for Carrier Air Conditioning. They were sent all over Papua/New Guinea to install industrial air-conditioning. When Bill returned from his job, Kerrie once again insisted that I would "really" like this guy. At the same time Willy was telling Bill, that Kerrie had a girlfriend that he would "really" like. Employees of Carrier Air were having a party and Bill and I were invited both knowing we were "really" going to like each other even though we had never met.

Needless to say our friends were right and we did "really" like each other. But was it going to end in heartbreak again? 
 Kerrie and Willy introduce me to Bill. We spent Saturday mornings in the beer garden of the RSL Club overlooking Ela Beach.

 We "really" liked each other.

 Bill had a Ford Falcon and we used to go on picnics with other couples from Carrier Air.

 We went swimming in Sirinumu Dam.

 We went to Guire Beach where the sand was volcanic black.

 We would share our barbequed sausages with the local children.

 We went to Lalokie River for a swim and picnic. Bill has his steak sandwich and stubby beer.

 Local natives in their dug out lacatoi canoe.

 Bill was keen on photography especially movies. He had a Bolex professional 16 mm camera. I was impressed.

 Bill paddling what they called the "Carrier Queen". I thought he was cute. He thought I was cute.
(Oh boy to have a figure like that today, I wish).

At last my car was fixed after seven months without it. Bill liked it too.

We drove to Ela Beach to watch the locals have model lacatoi canoe races.

At the end of the year (1968) I proudly took my new boyfriend to the Korobosea School Staff Christmas Party. (One got a good sun tan in the tropics.)
I was happy but would it last??

27 comments:

  1. I am glad you did not keep us waiting long to turn the page. Waiting expectantly for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a long time coming but we are finally here. I expect Bill would like his old figure back too, as would I. The last photo is so lovely. Do you remember the evening beyond knowing where you were and what date? If I did not know you were English born, I would say you were part aborigine or local. Gosh that sun must have been fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have reached a gripping point in your story. I hope we are not kept on a knife edge for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your storry reads like a novel. I noticed your figure too, it was amazing how we looked when we were young. I didn't realise it at that time, just took it for granted. I think I know how this story ended, with a happy living for ever....

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely addition to your story! and once again, I love that you are doing this and that you have all of these old photos. So wish I had mine, but..... I think this is going to last.... Yes, I think this is the guy for you ! How fun, and how wonderful that these guys got your car back for you. What a cad that other guy was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You met a cute,adventurous guy and got your car back -- life is looking up! You look so happy in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all immersed in this story. Man was he a cutie!! Not that he isn't now, but you know what I mean. Cute, cute pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great that you got your sports car back and working. Lovely figure, sigh! You certainly were as born as a berry..

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like your little car and he was handsome and wow on you in the walking the tree pic.. i like the photo of him with his movie camera to... in the mid 80's Bob and i had tans like yours in the last shot all year round, about 10 years ago we quit going to the beach so much and i could not sit in the heat to get tanned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. smoking hot couple! just adorable duo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ! that's nice that they managed to get your car back ! And Kerrie was right ! You found the man of your life ! I only recognize him in the face of one of your daughters ! Probably it's the beard he wears now ! What a cute couple you were, the pictures are great !

    ReplyDelete
  12. You two look so cute together. A handsome guy with a job, a car, and a great camera! Life is looking up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your stories Diane and your pictures are fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful snapshot in time - the lifestyles, the fashions and cars....
    Looking like a very promising outcome...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a great story with so many wonderful photos reading it makes one feel like they are there with you

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is the story we were all waiting for Diane! You and Bill are a cute couple! Wonderful post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a fun read!! Seeing the vintage pics really added to the story. Can't wait for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bill's hairline is all over the place. What happened to Kerrie and Werner, and the "too self-assured" Willy?

    ReplyDelete
  19. In the movies the parties always get more handsome/beautiful as they fall in love. Seems it happened in real life, too, huh? I'm really enjoying your story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a marvelous story! I think it's safe to say your happiness would last.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wondered how you ended up with a Swiss guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this story Diane, and am looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m just caching up on your posts and now you’ve got me on tenterhooks for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to see such old box pictures.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Diane,
    I've gone back and read your last few posts. I'll have to catch up on some things as I can.
    Like someone commented - so many pictures from your past. It amazes me too. I think you were always meant to tell your story. It's great being back to blogging and catching up with you. It was good to see you in my comment section yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good looking guy with a car ... and a camera! How could you resist!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm amazed you have so many photos from back then! You seem to have tons to document your story!

    ReplyDelete