Brisbane, QLD


Saturday, November 8, 2014

ANOTHER ADVENTURE AND BIRTHDAY BEAR DOG SITTING

It is motivating to see my blog friends are interested in 'My Story" and that some of them are keen to find out what happens next. However, I'm sorry to say I might have to hold you in suspense for a little longer for two reasons. One is that Birthday Bear is nagging me to post about our last celebration and the second reason is that we fly away on another adventure tomorrow.

We are going to USA where we will visit our grandchildren and family in LA. Then we fly to Nashville and hire a car and drive to Gatlinburg in the Smoky Mts for a few days. Then we drive back to Memphis and board "The American Queen" steamboat for a "Thanksgiving" cruise down the Mississippi to New Orleans. I have never experienced a Thanksgiving celebration before. Then we fly home which will take 18 hours flying and umpteen hours waiting at airports after 3 days we should be home. We sure live a long way down under but I wouldn't swap it for anywhere else.

For those interested readers who wanted to know more about Bill's  car floating away in a flood from my last post, he has written about it on his blog. 'Bill's Ponderings" He also has pre scheduled posts of where we will be on each day of our trip if you want to follow along. I might be able to post from my iPad occasionally. Please forgive me if I'm too busy having fun to have time to comment on your posts for a while.  

Okay, Okay, Birthday Bear lets tell about your latest party!
For those new readers who may not know about our Birthday Bear Tradition read more here .

 It is Ann's birthday today but we celebrated last week because we were going away. Ann often spends time Granddog sitting for her daughter and son in law. She spends a lot of her time there reading. So Bear has come to the party ready to help Ann next time she is called on to dog sit.

 Bear has her books ready to go and she shows her love of dogs.

 Mary on the left dressed Bear for Ann on the right.

 Ann, Bill, Mary, Paul, Helen, moi and George waiting for lunch at "The Rare Pear" cafe. Bear was too engrossed in her book to eat lunch but when she saw the cakes cabinet that was different. 

She was over there in a flash checking out the selection . It didn't take her long to point out the one she wanted, the biggest one of course.

30 comments:

  1. I've never met Birthday Bear before - what an enchanting idea. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the cafe staff had a smile on their faces when you posed bear at the counter, love it. By the way, if you want someone to carry your bags I will be there on the next flight! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another exciting trip for you. I have itchy feet again - time to start planning 2015. Birthday Bear has got a great figure despite his love of cakes! Look forward to hearing about your trip - enjoy each day to the full.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. I thought you were in the US and had returned by now. Whatever, have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great adventure you are going to make.The south part of USA is very interesting, we did it a few years ago. You have heard so much of all those places and finally you are there, that is always amazing. I agree with you that the "flying and airport" part is the least interesting, maybe even the worst...Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful trip in view ! (besides the long flights !) Birthday bear has a beautiful outfit again !
    I have son and family here, all 3 to celebrate Toby's 4th birthday which will be on Nov 17 !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Diane, sounds like an awesome trip. I am sure you will be happy to see your daughter and family and those cute grandsons of yours! I love the birthday bear post. I wish Ann a very Happy Belated Birthday.. Have a fun and safe trip..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your time with your US family. Be safe, take care from us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this bear coudl be my bear... reading, dogs and food... the best things I love to do. wow what a trip, when we drove from Ga to Ky when i was a child we always got lost driving through Gatlineburg. that is some beautiful country you are visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute dog-sitting bear!! do enjoy that visit with family and the fabulous trip on the thanksgiving cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fun tradition and you all seems to find the perfect attire and activity for the Birthday Bear to match each special birthday. Have a fabulous time in the US--first with your daughter, son-in-law and adorable grandsons and then exploring the American south and one of my favorite places to visit and eat --New o=Orleans! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated Happy Birthday to Anne. Your drinks at the cafe look very tempting. Hope you enjoy your next adventure, it sounds fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bear obviously has a good eye for cakes as well as books. We're looking forward to your visit to our part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Birthday Bear.... Happy Birthday to Ann... I am SO excited that you will be visiting our area... Cannot wait to see you and Bill.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the birthday bear especially where he reaches out to the cake lol Oh what an exciting adventures
    on your calendar. i hope you have a fantastic time in America

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have the most fabulous time! I'll be checking in and seeing what you're up to. Happy wandering!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your upcoming trip sounds wonderful. Enjoy it all and safe journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh the trip to visit the grandchildren and other family sounds great, it does take a bloody long time to get home by the sound of it but it will be great to see the family. I think birthday bear likes cakes...........and a good book

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a safe trip and you are gonna have SO MUCH FUN! I love birthday bear and that happy group that shares him/her. That last picture of bear is an all time favorite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have some grand adventures and stay safe on your trip. Birthday Bear always makes a wise choice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ann is very smart to have chosen the biggest cake! :) I hope you have a wonderful time visiting the U.S.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can I just say, you should be the 'poster lady' for us all on how to 'retire' with grace and style which to me means: enjoying life to the fullest by remembering and honoring the past without dwelling there, seeking out new and exciting adventures away from the comforts of home, maintaining a rich and fun social life with dear friends, and most important, staying close to beloved family, children and grandchildren even if it means traveling half way around the world to do so. I want to be you when I grow up!!! Hope your latest adventure is amazing. And Happy Thanksgiving....eats lots of turkey and pumpkin pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you all have a marvelous time traveling! The steamboat ride to N.O. sounds wonderful as does a stay in the Smokey Mountains. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have fun, travel safe, hug those grandsons, take pictures, post when you can! Happy Thanksgiving ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful birthday celebration! It's great that you and your friends have Birthday bear! I hope your friend enjoys her books. Now, about your trip! Wow! That's going to be an awesome trip! I am so excited for you! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the birthday bear series! It's SUCH a good idea! Your trip sounds amazing - I've often wondered what Thanksgiving dinner is REALLY like from an Aussie perspective, so I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete